Pages

Sunday 10 November 2013

Blanket for moccasins - 1001 Nights test knit

I'm nearly done the blanket I promised in exchange for the moccasins for my niece:


Its been a lot of work. Each star cost me more than 7 hours, Hexagons more than an hour and then attaching each star was around an hour's work including weaving ends. I'm still working on the boarder, which in time means 1/2 hr for corners and 8" an hour for sides so far.

There is a link to the pattern on my project page: 1001 Nights Afghan

I had the honour of test knitting this amazing blanket for an inspirational designer. She permitted me the use of worsted weight yarn as well as an alternate boarder to what she instructs in her pattern. All these details are on my project page, so I will spare you. Another 20-30 hrs to go.

The moccasins.
(I blogged about in early June, powwow, vendor, trade, blanket.) My niece is getting some good use out of them. I'd forgotten to mention that the two girls traded, the older niece wearing the moccasins that were painfully tight tried on the 'new-to-you' pair and the smaller set fit the younger sister nicely. Both were happy.

Since then our community hosted our annual fall powwow. My nieces arrived in more beads and feathers than they originally had, they've been working on their regalia with their friends and still continue. Gramma videod some of their dancing on her phone. They took their infant sister out on the dance floor as well. I'm most proud of them when they are dancing to our traditional hand drum songs.

I'm glad to see my nieces smiling. I'm glad to have been able to get the moccasins for them, there is never a small price on that kind of work. Having no money isn't any fun; and, being able to do this for my loved ones makes my knitting skills very precious to me. I may be broke, stuck home and sickly, but I can still add value.

No comments:

Post a Comment